Gaza, 12 Shafar 1434 /25 December 2012 (MEMO/MINA) – The total losses incurred by the people of Gaza as a result of Israel’s November offensive against the territory exceed $1.2 billion (around £741m). The Palestinian government in the Gaza Strip announced the official statistics of the conflict on Sunday.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Health, Dr Ashraf Al-Kedra, said that the latest figure for the number killed by the Israelis last month has reached 185, with 1,399 wounded. Just under 90 per cent of the casualties were hit more than once; 28 per cent had head wounds.
Dr. Al-Kedra said that 483 casualties underwent surgery, with 65 admitted to intensive care and 42 transferred to Egyptian hospitals for further treatment, according the reports published in the Middle East Monitor (MEMO).
Economic losses in the industrial and transport sectors are estimated at $213m and $3m respectively. Two hundred homes were completely destroyed, while 8,300 were damaged. Around 37,000 mature fruit trees were also destroyed by the Israelis. (T/R-012/R-006)
Mi’raj News Agency (MINA)