Damascus, 13 Rabi’ul Akhir 1434 / 23 February 2013 (MINA) – UN-Arab League Special Envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi has condemned the recent bomb attack in Damascus and described it as a “war crime.”
In a statement issued on Friday, Brahimi said he “strongly condemns the savage and horrible explosion in Damascus yesterday, which resulted in the killing of around 100 and the injuring of two hundred and fifty civilians. Nothing could justify such horrible actions that amount to war crimes under international law,” according to Press TV reports monitored by Mi’raj News Agency (MINA), Saturday (23/2).
Syria has asked the United Nations to issue a clear condemnation of the bombing in the Syrian capital.
In letters to the UN secretary general and the chairman of the UN Security Council (UNSC) on Thursday, the Syrian Foreign Ministry said the Security Council’s adoption of a firm stance on the deadly attack would send a message to terrorist groups and those who support them.
“But if the UNSC turns a blind eye to this terrorist act, just as it did previously, it will deepen doubts about its seriousness in combating terrorism and its commitment to implementing its resolutions in this regard,” the Syrian Foreign Ministry added.
Last month, Brahimi asked the UN Security Council to establish an international body to conduct an independent investigation on war crimes in Syria.
The Syria crisis began in March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of security forces, have been killed in the violence.
The Syrian government says that the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants are foreign nationals. (T/P06/E1)
Mi’raj News Agency (MINA)