Abuja, Nigeria, 20 Jumadil Akhir 1434/30 April 2013 (MINA) – At least seventeen people have been killed in fighting between Nigerian military forces and unknown gunmen in the country’s northeast, a military official has said, Press TV quoted by Mi’raj News Agency (MINA) as reporting.
The fighting occurred in Bama, a town in northeastern Borno state, where militants have been fighting the government since 2010, The Associated Press reported on Monday.
Lt. Col A.G. Laka said that the fighting killed at least seven police officers and 10 militants.
No group has claimed responsibility for Monday attack, but authorities usually put the blame on Boko Haram militants for such attacks.
An attack Thursday (25/4) in restive northern Nigeria where the performer stormed a police station and stole nearly $60,000 from a bank killed 20 insurgents and five officers, the local police chief said Friday.
“Five policemen and 20 gunmen had been confirmed dead when some Terrorist attacked police formations in Gashua town,” the Yobe state police commissioner, Sanusi Rufai, said of the attack, modern Ghana reported.
Nigeria’s military had previously given a toll of seven dead in the Thursday clash. so Far they alleged that the suspect is Boko Haram.
Aside from the raids on the police, Rufai said the gunmen also robbed a bank and “carted away nine million naira ($57,000 44,000 euros) and two vehicles”.
The opposition movement has claimed responsibility for a number of deadly gun and bomb attacks in various parts of Nigeria since 2009.
Human rights groups report that violent actions by the military with the opposition movement since 2009 have claimed more than 1,600 lives, including over 900 in the first ten months of 2012 alone. (T/P09/E1)
Mi’raj News Agency (MINA).