Maiduguri, Nigeria, 17 Jumadil Akhir 1434/27 April 2013 (MINA) – An attack Thursday (25/4) in restive northern Nigeria where the performer stormed a police station and stole nearly $60,000 from a bank killed 20 insurgents and five officers, the local police chief said Friday.

       “Five policemen and 20 gunmen had been confirmed dead when some Terrorist attacked police formations in Gashua town,” the Yobe state police commissioner, Sanusi Rufai, said of the attack, modern Ghana reported as monitored by Mi’raj News Agency (MINA).

       Nigeria’s military had previously given a toll of seven dead in the Thursday clash. so Far they alleged that the suspect is Boko Haram.

       Aside from the raids on the police, Rufai said the gunmen also robbed a bank and “carted away nine million naira ($57,000 44,000 euros) and two vehicles”.

       Meanwhile, many survivors of brutal clashes between soldiers and Boko Haram gunmen last week in a remote Nigerian town are still in hiding, an emergency official said Friday.

      As rescue workers struggled to care for the victims of Baga, trying to encourage them to return to a home which was ravaged by fire.

      In Baga, an area with little mobile phone coverage near Lake Chad, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has set up 10 camps for those displaced and is trying to distribute relief materials after fierce fighting last Friday, last week.

      But the work has been complicated in a community traumatised by the carnage, NEMA spokesman Manzo Ezekiel told AFP. “They weren’t sceptical because of NEMA but at first they ran away because NEMA came with soldiers,” Ezekiel added. “Many people are still in hiding.”

      Soldiers have been accused of firing indiscriminately on civilians while setting fires to scores of homes and a market after gun battles with opposition movement  broke out.

      Thousands of people were reported to have fled to the bush outside of Baga while trying to escape the bloodshed. But, the military has fiercely denied any wrongdoing and has claimed that only 37 people were killed. They said the sweeping fires, estimated to have destroyed nearly half the town, were caused by insurgent grenade and gunfire.

      “Part of our work there is to build confidence,” the NEMA spokesman said. “We need to show people that what we have now in Baga is assistance, not any more attacks.”

      The Red Cross has also deployed to the fishing town, but said it is still assessing the scale of the devastation. (T/P09/P03)

Mi’raj News Agency (MINA)


Related Posts

Leave a Reply