Kabul, 20 Jumadil Akhir 1434/29 April 2013 (MINA) – The Taliban fighters say they have launched a coordinated attack against the largest US base in Afghanistan’s south, according to Press TV reports quoted by Mi’raj News Agency (MINA).
A spokesman for the fighters said they have attacked Kandahar airfield with rockets and explosives on Sunday.
The US military has not commented on the incident yet.
The attack comes a day after the Taliban pledged to step up its attacks on the US-led foreign forces in the country and the Afghan government.
The militant group said on Saturday that a new wave of offensives would begin on April 28, adding that they were set to employ new military tactics.
Earlier on Sunday, three Afghan policemen were killed after a roadside bomb ripped through their patrol vehicle in Afghanistan’s central-eastern province of Ghazni.
The Taliban immediately claimed responsibility for the attack and their spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid issued a statement saying “Today was our first day of the new operation, and we conducted many operations in several provinces such as Ghazni province.”
The summer offensive under the code name of “Khalid bin Walid”, special military tactics will be used to attack foreign military across the country including use of insider attacks by militants who are based inside the military institutions, the statement further added.
The media reported taliban in its statement also added that diplomatic institutions and airfields will be the main targets of the Taliban fighters where coordinated attacks will be launched by Taliban fighters and bombers.
Taliban in its statement also urged to strictly prevent civilian casualties and called on ordinary civilians to prevent from commuting near the foreign troops military bases, residence and stop working for the foreign military.
Taliban also urged Afghan security forces to prevent serving under the current Afghan regime led by president Hamid Karzai in a bid to be safe from the Taliban fighters target.
The United States and its allies invaded Afghanistan in October 2001 as part of Washington’s so-called war on terror.
The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but insecurity continues to rise across the country, despite the presence of thousands of US-led troops. (T/P09/E1).
Mi’raj News Agency (MINA)